MELANIE FIONA WRITES OPEN LETTER TO LAURYN HILL



Music Matters artist Melanie Fiona wrote a heartfelt open letter to Lauryn Hill after attending a moving performance Tuesday night (May 14) at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, where Hill, backed by a ten-piece band, delivered classics from her catalogue following an hour-long DJ set from Q-Tip.

"I have had many blessed, spiritual, and unforgettable moments in my life... But none more inspiring and life altering than last night. For those of you have ever listened to my music as a full body of work, heard any of my interviews, or have been to any of my live shows... Knows, that Lauryn Hill is a driving force of inspiration in everything I do. There would be no first audition for me if couldn't sing her version of "his eye is on the sparrow," she posted to her Instagram along with a photo of her with L-Boogie captured after the show.

Citing why Hill is such an inspiration, Fiona continued, "There wouldn't be the artist you see today who isn't afraid to bare her soul about life and love. And last night, I got to tell her that. After seeing her murder the stage...I personally got to express my teary eyed gratitude. A REAL dream come true for me. Lauryn Hill is the true essence of artistry that I aspire to represent... One who can break barriers, colour lines, industry standards, and ignorant minds... All while making amazing heartfelt educated music."

Fiona concluded with more gratitude directed toward L-Boogie. "Thank You #LaurynHill... You are singlehandedly, hands down, the greatest to ever do it ALL... Triple Threat... And to inspire a musical generation so starved that we still anticipate any and everything that you will do in the future. With Love, Respect, Support and Gratitude, MF xo."

Hill's other recent performances had been critical fodder as the industry and fans grapple with the noticeable chasm caused since her last album, 2002's MTV Unplugged No. 2.0, and the controversy surrounding her tax evasion jail sentence (about which she wrote her own open letter).

She announced earlier this month that she has a label deal with Sony and is readying new music.

Comments

Popular Posts